- IUI – (Intrauterine uterine insemination), where the husband’s semen (after being processed in the lab) is directly placed in the womb. This procedure is fairly simple and the cost is also less
IUI (Intrauterine uterine insemination)
- The IUI procedure is more commonly done and can be an effective treatment for most women under about age 40. Most pregnancies resulting from insemination with the male partner’s sperm occur in the first 3-4 attempts.
- IUI treatment is usually recommended for a maximum of about 5 or 6 tries. It is reasonable to try IUI for longer than this in women with Polycystic ovaries (PCOS) and lack of ovulation that have been given drugs to ovulate.Intra Uterine Insemination (IUI) is a fertility treatment where the sperm is inserted inside a uterus to assist the process of
fertilization. The target of IUI treatment is to increase the sperm count that make their way to the fallopian tubes, which results in a
successful fertilization. IUI helps the sperm mobility to make its way to reach the egg for fertilization by itself. Intrauterine
Insemination is a less intrusive and cheaper treatment compared to In Vitro Fertilization (IVF).
When is Intrauterine insemination (IUI) used?
Its opted to go for this treatment when there is a low sperm count or decreased sperm mobility.
Also IUI can be considered for the following reasons:
- If the cause for the infertility is unexplained.
- Problems like cervical condition, such as cervical mucus issues.
- Some scarring issues which obstruct the sperms to reach the uterus.
- Ejaculation dysfunction.
IUI is not recommended if:
- Women having serious illness in the fallopian tubes.
- Women suffering with pelvic diseases.
- Women having little to severe endometriosis.
How does IUI work?
Prior to the intrauterine insemination procedure, to activate the ovulation process medicines are used and constant monitoring is
required to check if the eggs have matured. IUI procedure is done during the time the ovulation happens, approximately after 24 hours
when the LH hormone is injected which is a sign that ovulation is due soon.
Semen collected will be cleansed and separated from the seminal fluid. Then a catheter is injected to insert sperms into the uterus,
which has greater chances to conceive. The IUI is a short procedure associated with minimal discomfort. After the procedure, woman
has to look for signs of pregnancy.
What are the risks of IUI?
There are greater chances to conceive by taking IUI treatment. However there are chances of infection to occur post treatment.
Success rates of IUI?
The success rate of the IUI treatment is based on numerous factors like age, health condition and the underlying reason for infertility etc.
IUI is a cost effective treatment and has fair amount of chances to conceive. Discuss with your doctor for information. Some couples like to
figure out other conventional methods before proceeding for infertility procedures.